Grilling the doughnuts transforms the glaze into a crust and creates warm pillows, perfect for layering with whipped cream and berries.
Grilled Doughnut Stacks
Serves: 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 day-old glazed doughnuts
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream, divided
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- In an enamel-coated cast-iron grill pan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook doughnuts, carefully turning with a spatula, until grill marks form and doughnuts are heated through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Layer 2 doughnuts each with ½ cup whipped cream and 2 tablespoons blueberries; repeat layers. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and lemon zest; serve immediately.