Cane syrup brings delicious caramelized flavor to this glossy glazed turkey.
Cane Syrup Glazed Turkey
Serves: 10-12 Servings
- 1 (12-pound) fresh or thawed frozen turkey, giblets and neck discarded
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup cane syrup
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Gently loosen skin from turkey, keeping skin intact. Carefully tuck wings under, and tie legs with butcher’s twine. Place turkey on prepared rack, and sprinkle salt under and over skin. Refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Add oil to a 14-inch cast-iron skillet. Pat turkey dry with paper towels; place turkey in skillet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter, cane syrup, wine, and rosemary over low heat. Keep warm.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, 2 to 2½ hours more, basting with syrup mixture every 30 minutes. Let stand for 20 minutes before slicing.