This potato crust is definitley the perfect topping.
Potato Crust Chicken Pot Pie
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 2 cups halved fresh green beans
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 pounds)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Fill a medium Dutch oven halfway full with water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add green beans, carrot, and celery; cook for 1 minute. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked vegetables, cooked chicken, and peas.
- In a small bowl, stir together soup, broth, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Pour soup mixture over chicken mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon into prepared skillet.
- In same Dutch oven, bring potatoes and water to cover to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Reserve ¾ cup cooking liquid.
- Drain potatoes, and return to pan; add cream, butter, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Beat with a mixer at medium speed, adding reserved cooking liquid, ¼ cup at a time, until smooth. Gently spread potato mixture over chicken mixture.
- Bake until browned and bubbly, 35 to 45 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Looking for more skillet-worthy casseroles? Find what you are looking for in our newest Southern Cast Iron special issue!