Crushed pineapple and coconut give this cake a delicious tropical twist.
Skillet Carrot Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups finely grated carrot
- 1 (4-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- ¼ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and eggs. Add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in carrot, pineapple, coconut, and pecans. Spread batter in prepared skillet.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely. Top with Cream Cheese Frosting. Garnish with chopped pecans, if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 11⁄2 cups
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- FIRST In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.