These Mini Tomato Pies are buttery with a hint of acidic sweetness from the tomatoes.
Mini Tomato Pies
- 3 small heirloom tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick and seeded
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup grated Gruyère cheese, divided
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Garnish: fresh basil, ground black pepper, flaked sea salt
- Place tomato slices on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll puff pastry. Using a 3¼-inch round cutter, cut 14 rounds. Transfer to 2 (7-well) cast-iron mini cake pans, pressing into bottoms. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together mustard and pepper; brush onto pastries, and sprinkle with ½ cup Gruyère, Monterey Jack, and basil. Top each with one tomato slice.
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Gruyère, and bake 5 minutes more. Let cool completely. Garnish with basil, pepper, and sea salt, if desired.