Collard Green Pies
Serves: 6 (6-inch) skillets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 cups cooked collard greens, drained and finely chopped
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated piecrusts, room temperature
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 6 (6-inch) cast-iron skillets with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together onion mixture, collard greens, eggs, feta, cottage cheese, dill, parsley, vinegar, salt, red pepper, and black pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll 1 piecrust. Lightly brush with water, and place another piecrust on top. Roll to ⅛-inch thickness. Cut 3 (5-inch) rounds, reserving scraps. Repeat procedure with remaining piecrusts. Roll each round into a 7-inch circle. Transfer each circle to a prepared skillet, pressing into bottom and up sides. Divide filling among prepared skillets. Cut scraps into 4- to 6-inch strips for lattice, rerolling as necessary. Cover pies with 6 to 8 dough strips of various widths. Gently press to seal; trim excess dough. Sprinkle each with 1½ tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake on bottom third of oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with pepper, if desired.