Every Southern chef needs a versatile pound cake recipe, and we love the decadent fruit topping on this classic treat.
Almond Pound Cake with Fresh Peach Sauce
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup plus 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups cold heavy whipping cream
- Fresh Peach Sauce (recipe follows)
Fresh Peach Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coarsely puréed peeled fresh peaches
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup sliced peeled fresh peaches
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, ¾ cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in 2 teaspoons vanilla and almond extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream, remaining 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla with a mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread mixture onto cake. Spoon Fresh Peach Sauce onto whipped cream, and serve with cake.
Fresh Peach Sauce
- In a small enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, bring sugar, puréed peaches, 3 tablespoons water, lemon juice, salt, and nutmeg to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in sliced peaches and vanilla. Transfer peach mixture to a small bowl, and let cool completely.