This impressive oven pancake comes together quickly and is perfect served straight from the skillet.
Apple-Pecan Dutch Baby
Serves: Makes 4-6 servings
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound Gala apples, cored and thinly sliced (3 to 4 apples)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- Maple syrup, toasted chopped pecans, and confectioners’ sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, whisking just until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together apples, cinnamon, allspice, and remaining 4 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add apple mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until apples begin to turn light brown and soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir batter, and pour over apple mixture.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown around the edges, 15 to 17 minutes. Serve immediately with syrup, pecans, and confectioners’ sugar.
Kitchen Tip: Serve this Dutch baby right away—after its dramatic rise, it falls quite quickly.