Don’t have a cast-iron muffin pan? These spiced muffins can also be baked in a standard 12-cup muffin tin. Just begin checking for doneness after 12 minutes, as baking times may vary.
Serves: About 12
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ⅜ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅜ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons sour cream, room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped Gala apple
- ¼ cup chopped Bartlett or Bosc pear
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 cast-iron muffin pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, pie spice, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Make a well in center of flour mixture; stir in sour cream mixture just until moistened. Fold in apple and pear. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edges of muffins. Gently remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.