Cheddar cheese and Creole seasoning give these cornsticks extra flavor.
Bacon-Cheddar Cornbread Sticks
Serves: Makes about 14
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded sharp
- Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Brush wells of 2 (7-stick) cast-iron cornstick pans with reserved 2 tablespoons drippings. Place pans in oven to preheat for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and Creole seasoning. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and oil. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; stir in milk mixture, cheese, and bacon just until combined.
- Carefully remove hot pans from oven. Divide batter among prepared wells.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from pan immediately.