Add a little heat to your bread basket with these spicy and cheesy pull-apart rolls.
Bacon-Cheddar Jalapeño Monkey Bread
Makes 8 servings
- Master Dough (recipe follows)
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1½ jalapeño peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- Line a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with parchment paper.
- Gently punch down Master Dough, and divide into 32 dough balls.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cheese, garlic powder, salt, and Italian seasoning. Coat 16 dough balls in melted butter, and roll in cheese mixture. Reserve remaining cheese mixture. Place dough balls in prepared skillet, layering with three-fourths of bacon and jalapeño. Coat remaining dough balls in melted butter, and place on top. Drizzle with remaining melted butter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until puffed, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture, bacon, and jalapeño. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes enough dough for 1 (10- to 12-inch) loaf or 7 rolls
- 1 cup warm whole milk (105° to 110°), divided
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 3½ to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup warm milk and yeast. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together melted butter, sugar, sour cream, egg, and remaining . cup warm milk.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3. cups flour and salt. Add half of flour mixture to butter mixture. With mixer on low speed, add yeast mixture, beating just until combined. Beat in remaining flour mixture. Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes, adding remaining . cup flour if needed. (Dough should not be sticky.)
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Loosely cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.