By subbing bacon drippings for butter, this easy, five-ingredient bread is delicate and fluffy while still being rich and savory.
Bacon Fat Popovers
- 3 tablespoons melted bacon drippings, divided
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. Brush wells of 2 (6-cup) cast-iron muffin pans with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings. Place pans on a large rimmed baking sheet, and place in oven to heat for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; gradually whisk in flour and salt until smooth and well combined. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Working quickly but carefully, divide batter among hot pans, filling wells to the top.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Don’t skimp on the time for preheating your pans, and do not open the oven while popovers are baking; they will deflate and become spongy rather than crisp and airy.