This easy bread makes an indulgent breakfast, dessert, or snack.
Bacon-Peanut Banana Bread
Makes 1 (8×4-inch) loaf
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted peanuts
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped salted peanuts
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 to 5 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8×4-inch cast-iron loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- For streusel: In a large cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Reserve ½ tablespoon bacon drippings.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter and reserved ½ tablespoon bacon drippings. Stir in bacon and peanuts until crumbly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For bread: In a large cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 15 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings for another use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together mashed banana, brown sugar, melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. Fold flour mixture into banana mixture just until combined. Fold in bacon and peanuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan; top with streusel.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour more. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- For glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, and buttermilk until smooth. Drizzle onto cooled loaf.