You could make a meal out of this decadent, crunchy-bottomed cornbread that’s loaded with crispy bacon and creamy pimiento cheese.
Bacon-Pimiento Cheese Cornbread
Makes 1 (10-inch) loaf
- ½ pound bacon, chopped
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ cups whole buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups pimiento cheese*, divided
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place skillet with drippings in oven until very hot, about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Stir egg mixture into cornmeal mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened; stir in ½ cup bacon and 1 cup pimiento cheese. Carefully spread batter into hot skillet.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining bacon and remaining 1 cup pimiento cheese. Serve with hot cornbread.
*We used Pawleys Island Palmetto Cheese.