These roasted beets taste great fresh from the oven or served at room temperature. Toss the red beets separately to keep from discoloring the others.
Balsamic and Citrus Roasted Beets
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2 medium golden beets, peeled and cut into ¾-inch-thick wedges (about ¾ pound)
- 2 small candy-striped beets, peeled and cut into ¾-inch-thick wedges (about ½ pound)
- 2 medium red beets, peeled and cut into ¾-inch-thick wedges (about 1 pound)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 large oranges, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- Garnish: chopped toasted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium bowl, toss together golden beets, candy-striped beets, 1½ tablespoons oil, and 1 teaspoon salt. Place in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. In same bowl, toss together red beets, 1½ tablespoons oil, and 1 teaspoon salt. Place in skillet with golden and candystriped beets.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. In a medium bowl, toss together oranges, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Pour balsamic mixture over beets; add oranges.
- Bake until beets are tender, 30 to 35 minutes more. Add butter to skillet; gently swirl skillet to incorporate. Garnish with pistachios, if desired.