We added brisket and cornbread to this beloved side for a main dish that’s Southern through and through.
Barbecue Baked Bean Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 (15-ounce) cans navy beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can navy beans, undrained
- 1 pound smoked brisket, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup yellow mustard
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups crumbled cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in beans, pork, ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together crumbled cornbread and remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle onto beans.
- Bake until cornbread is lightly browned and casserole is bubbly, about 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.