These sweet barbecue beans come together with a few staple ingredients in under an hour.
Barbecue Baked Beans
Author: Reprinted with permission from Whole Hog BBQ by Sam Jones & Daniel Vaughn, copyright ©2019. Photographs by Denny Culbert. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Penguin Random House, Inc.
- ½ pound ground chuck
- ½ small red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- ¼ green bell pepper, diced (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pork and beans, drained
- Bean Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small Dutch oven, cook beef, onion, and bell pepper over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Drain well, and return to pot. Add pork and beans and Bean Sauce, stirring until combined.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, about 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
*Sam uses Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce.
Serves: ⅔ cup
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce*
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until sugars are dissolved. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 weeks.
Reprinted with permission from Whole Hog BBQ by Sam Jones & Daniel Vaughn, copyright ©2019. Photographs by Denny Culbert. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Penguin Random House, Inc.