You’ll want to make this quick and hearty soup again and again this season.
Beef and Black-Eyed Pea Chili
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark lager
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Sour cream, cilantro, sliced jalapeño, and lime wedges, to serve
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Remove vegetables from pot. Add beef; cook until browned and crumbly, about 8 minutes. Drain well, discarding drippings.
- Return beef and vegetables to pot. Stir in tomatoes, broth, beer, cilantro, chile powder, cumin, salt, and paprika, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until thickened, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in peas and lime juice; cook for 10 minutes. Serve with sour cream, cilantro, jalapeño, and lime.