Use any combination of your favorite summer berries in this slightly sweet bake.
Berry Cornmeal Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup finely ground plain white cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sliced fresh mixed berries (such as strawberries and blackberries), divided
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in oven, and preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¾ cup granulated sugar, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together 8 tablespoons melted butter, sour cream, eggs, and extract. Make a well in center of flour mixture; stir in butter mixture until combined.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven. Add remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter to pan, swirling to coat. Spread half of batter into pan. Sprinkle 1 cup berries onto batter. Dollop remaining batter by spoonfuls onto berries. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup berries and remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar onto batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.