Doughnuts meet snickerdoodles in these beauties that are dunked in a fresh berry sauce.
Biscuit Churros with Strawberry Sauce
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3½ cups all-purpose baking mix*
- 1¼ cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small cast-iron Dutch oven, cook strawberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until berries are soft and mixture is slightly thick, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and mash with a potato masher until mixture is almost smooth. Let cool completely.
- In a medium cast-iron Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together ½ cup sugar and cinnamon. In a large bowl, whisk together baking mix and remaining ¼ cup sugar; whisk in 1¼ cups hot water and vanilla until a dough forms. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spoon dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Working in batches, carefully pipe 4- to 5-inch-long pieces of dough into hot oil, cutting dough at piping tip with a knife or scissors between each piece.
- Fry, turning frequently, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Let drain on paper towels. Dredge warm churros in cinnamon sugar to fully coat. Serve with strawberry sauce.
*We used Original Bisquick.