Flaky and light, these buttermilk biscuits are flavored with fresh thyme and cracked black pepper.
Black Pepper and Thyme Biscuits
Makes about 15
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- Butter, to serve
- Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a square cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, thyme, baking powder, salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, baking soda, garlic powder, and onion powder. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Gently stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently pat to ¾-inch thick. Using a 2½-inch round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Arrange biscuits in prepared skillet. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve with butter, if desired.
Southern Cast Iron https://www.southerncastiron.com/