As if they weren’t snackable enough on their own, we rolled these bite-size beauties in fragrant cinnamon sugar for good measure.
Makes about 12
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1¾ cups self-rising flour
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blackberries, gently patted dry
- In a medium cast-iron Dutch oven, pour oil to fill halfway, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and salt; whisk in buttermilk, egg, and vanilla until a thick batter forms. Gently stir in blackberries.
- Work in batches, carefully drop batter by ¼ cupfuls into hot oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. (Let oil heat to 350° between each batch.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 cup sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon; roll warm fritters in sugar mixture to coat. Serve immediately.