Sweet nectarines balance the tartness of fresh blackberries in this humble dessert.
Serves: 8 servings
- 8 fresh nectarines, pitted and sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped and divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine nectarines, blackberries, 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and 1⁄4 cup pecans. Spoon fruit mixture into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, and pour melted butter over mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar. Whisk in milk (batter will be thick). Fold in remaining 1⁄4 cup pecans. Spread batter over fruit mixture, leaving a 1 inch border.
- Bake until top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Serve with ice cream. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.