Eating these po’ boys is like taking a trip to New Orleans.
Blackened Catfish Po' Boys
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 (6-ounce) catfish fillets
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Spicy-Sweet Tartar Sauce (recipe follows)
- 4 (6-inch) slices French bread, split lengthwise
- Lettuce, tomato, and potato chips, to serve
- In a small bowl, stir together garlic powder, salt, paprika, red pepper, and thyme. Lightly brush fish with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle both sides of fish with garlic powder mixture.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add fish; cook until fish can be easily turned with a spatula, about 3 minutes. Turn fish; cook until fish is opaque and flakes easily, about 2 minutes more.
- Spread Spicy-Sweet Tartar Sauce over cut sides of bread. Top with fish, lettuce, and tomato. Serve with potato chips.
Spicy-Sweet Tartar Sauce
Makes about 1½ cups
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup chopped spicy sweet pickles
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.