Squeeze a charred lemon half over each serving of this spicy, butter-seared fish for the best flavor.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- ¼ cup smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 pounds grouper fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lemons, halved crosswise
- Preheat grill to high heat (400° to 450°). Preheat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on grill 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together paprika, thyme, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, mustard, and red pepper. Pour melted butter in a shallow dish. Dip each fillet in butter, turning to coat. Sprinkle both sides of fillets with spice mixture; pat gently to coat.
- Add olive oil to skillet (oil should smoke); place fish in skillet. Cook, covered, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn, and cook, covered, until fish flakes easily with a fork, 3 to 4 minutes more. Carefully remove skillet from grill.
- Place lemons cut side down on grill. Cook, covered, until charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with fish.