Roasted sweet potatoes add natural sweetness and vibrant color to these easy-to-bake scones.
Blueberry-Sweet Potato Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup mashed roasted sweet potato
- ⅔ cup plus 1 teaspoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ¾ cup frozen blueberries, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a 14-inch round cast-iron baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; stir in mashed sweet potato and ⅔ cup cream just until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead just until dough comes together. Pat dough to ½-inch thickness. Sprinkle ½ cup blueberries on top. Fold dough in half, and shape into an 8-inch circle. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup blueberries on top of dough, gently pressing into dough. Using a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut dough into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 teaspoon cream; brush onto scones.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- In another small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and syrup until smooth; drizzle onto warm scones.