A splash of bourbon lends a spirited kick to this ultra-moist pound cake.
Bourbon Butter Cake
Serves: Makes 10-12 servings
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3½ cups cake flour
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- ⅓ cup bourbon
- Bourbon Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Generously spray a 15-cup cast-iron Bundt pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and bourbon. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with Bourbon Caramel Sauce.
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
Serves: makes about 2 cups
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- FIRST In a 12-inch enamel-coated castiron skillet, heat 1 cup sugar over medium heat. (Do not stir.) Cook until edges are melted and sugar is amber colored, about 15 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup sugar; cook until melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in cream. If needed, return to heat, whisking until smooth. Whisk in bourbon until combined. Let cool completely. Refrigerate for up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature or reheat before using.
We also tested this recipe in a standard cast-aluminum Bundt pan; the cook time and temperature are the exact same.