These rich bars are made for bourbon lovers.
Bourbon-Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
Serves: About 10 Servings
- ¼ cup pecan halves
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pecan Pie Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 (12-ounce) package semisweet
- chocolate morsels
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, combine pecans, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg. Pulse until nuts are finely ground. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bourbon. With mixer on low speed, add flour, ¼ cup nut mixture, remaining 1½ teaspoons salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon nutmeg. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat just until mixture comes together, about 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Using floured hands, press dough into prepared pan.
- Bake until light golden brown around the edges, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Spread with Pecan Pie Filling. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- For chocolate: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and cream. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Whisk in bourbon and butter until smooth. Spread onto cooled Pecan Pie Filling. Let stand at room temperature overnight or refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Cut into bars. Garnish with remaining nut mixture, if desired.
Pecan Pie Filling
Serves: 10 servings
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup dark corn syrup
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons bourbon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- FIRST In a small Dutch oven, stir together pecans, sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, eggs, bourbon, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to mediumlow; simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before using.