Pumpkin adds a beautiful orange hue to these tender cinnamon rolls.
Bourbon-Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Serves: About 8
- ¼ cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- For dough: In a medium bowl, stir together ¼ cup warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand until frothy and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together flour, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. With mixer on low speed, add yeast mixture, pumpkin, and melted butter, beating just until combined. Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16x12-inch rectangle.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, stir together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, bourbon, and salt. Spread butter mixture onto dough. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log; pinch seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a cutting board. Cut dough into 2-inch-thick slices. Place in prepared skillet. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, milk, and bourbon until smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls. Serve immediately.