Try customizing this dish with your favorite vegetables and herbs.
Braised Chicken with White Wine and Spring Peas
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (4 to 6 thighs)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 12 small gold potatoes, halved
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups fresh English peas
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Cook chicken until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add wine to pan, stirring to remove browned bits. Add garlic, shallot, broth, lemon juice, and mustard; cook over medium-high heat until sauce is slightly reduced, 5 to 6 minutes. Add potatoes and thyme.
- Transfer Dutch oven to preheated oven, and bake until potatoes are tender, 40 to 50 minutes, adding peas during final 20 minutes of cooking. Garnish with thyme, if desired.