Charring the tomatoes brings out the sweetness in these early-spring gems, lending them the flavor of peak summer tomatoes.
Breakfast BLTs with Charred Tomato Relish
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 everything bagels, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup fresh baby arugula
- 4 Essential Fried Eggs (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, stir together tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add tomato mixture; cook until charred, about 3 minutes. Remove from skillet, and let cool for 1 minute. Wipe skillet clean.
- Roughly chop tomatoes. In a medium bowl, stir together chopped tomatoes, parsley, vinegar, garlic, sugar, and red pepper. Let cool.
- In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels. Add bagels to skillet; toast until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- On bottom half of each bagel, layer avocado, arugula, bacon, charred tomato relish, and an Essential Fried Egg. Cover with top half of bagels.
Essential Fried Egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Gently crack egg into skillet, and fry, covered, until yolk is set, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.