Buy a pound of your favorite smoked brisket for these saucy, cheese-blanketed enchiladas.
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can red enchilada sauce, divided
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 pound chopped smoked brisket
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese blend, divided
- Lime wedges and sour cream, to serve
- Garnish: fresh cilantro leaves, sliced jalapeño
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Spread ¾ cup enchilada sauce in bottom of pan.
- Divide pepper mixture among tortillas, spooning down center of each. Divide brisket and 1½ cups cheese among tortillas. Roll tortillas around filling; place in Dutch oven, seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce, and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and jalapeño, if desired. Serve with lime wedges and sour cream.