We chose Yukon gold potatoes for this rich side dish because they’re smooth when mashed without any graininess.
Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Garnish: fresh sage
- In a large Dutch oven, bring potatoes, 3 teaspoons salt, and water to cover by 2 inches to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well.
- In a small cast-iron skillet, cook butter over medium heat, swirling pan occasionally, until it turns a mediumbrown color and has a nutty aroma, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving butter and discarding solids.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes, half of browned butter, cream, sage, pepper, garlic powder, nutmeg, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt with a potato masher until smooth. Top with remaining browned butter. Garnish with sage, if desired.