This quick and easy side dish gives equal attention to turnip bulbs as well as their beloved greens.
Butter-Braised Turnips and Greens
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 5 turnips with greens attached
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Trim greens of turnips; wash and thoroughly dry. Chop greens. Peel and halve turnips.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add turnips, cut side down; cook until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add butter, garlic, and ginger; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and butter is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Sir in stock, vinegar, syrup, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until turnips are just tender, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in chopped turnip greens; cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
This recipe also works great with beets.