Can you find bacon fat infused tortillas at your grocery store? We thought not! Making your own tortillas is easier than piecrust…and a whole lot tastier. Follow these easy steps and take your taco night to the next level.
Buttermilk-Bacon Fat Tortillas
Serves: Makes 16
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup bacon drippings, melted
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk in drippings and melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until firm and smooth, about 2 minutes. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 16 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a ball. Roll 1 ball into an 8-inch circle. (Keep remaining dough balls covered with a cloth.)
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add tortilla; cook until edges begin to set, about 30 seconds. Turn, and cook until puffy, about 1 minute. Turn again, and cook for 30 seconds more. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
- Wrap finished tortillas in a cloth to keep warm before serving. Tortillas will keep up to a week refrigerated in an airtight container