Buttermilk, orange, and honey work in harmony to give this creamy pie a delicious balance of flavor.
Buttermilk Orange Honey Chess Pie
Serves: 1 (9-inch) pie
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Buttermilk Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: orange zest strips
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch cast-iron skillet, pressing into bottom and up sides. Crimp edges as desired. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of skillet. Add pie weights.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, buttermilk, honey, melted butter, orange zest and juice, flour, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake until set, 40 to 45 minutes, covering edges with foil to prevent excess browning. Let cool completely. Top with Buttermilk Whipped Cream. Garnish with zest, if desired.
Buttermilk Whipped Cream
Serves: 1½ cups
- ½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup cold whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat cream and buttermilk with a mixer at medium speed until combined. With mixer on high speed, add confectioners’ sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Use immediately.