Sticky fingers are an unavoidable side effect of eating these orange rolls.
Buttermilk Orange Rolls
Makes about 10
- ¼ cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- For dough: In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup warm water and yeast. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine flour, sugar, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add yeast mixture, buttermilk, egg, and butter. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until dough comes together. Continue beating until dough is smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1½ hours. Lightly punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle.
- For filling: Spread butter over dough. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and zest. Sprinkle sugar mixture over butter; gently press mixture into dough. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log; pinch seam to seal. Place log seam side down, and cut into 10 rolls.
- Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Place rolls in prepared skillet. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Uncover rolls. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly in skillet.
- For glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and cream cheese until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spread glaze over warm rolls.