A generous helping of brown sugar caramel takes this apple pie from average to unbelievable.
Caramel Apple Pie
Makes 1 (10-inch) pie
- 2⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ice water
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoons apple pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups sliced apple, such as Gala or Fuji (about 2½ pounds)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, and salt; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, gradually add vinegar and ice water, processing until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured
surface,and divide in half. Shape each half into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For caramel: In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in brown sugar, and cook until bubbly and sugar
isdissolved. Let cool in pan.
- Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 disk of dough ⅛ inch thick. Place dough directly on top of caramel sauce, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim dough to edge of skillet.
- For filling: In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, cornstarch, apple pie spice, and salt. Add apples and lemon juice, tossing to coat. Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining dough ⅛ inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut 1-inch-wide strips. Braid 3 strips together, and set aside. Arrange remaining strips in a lattice design on top of filling. Place braided strip on top as desired. Fold edges under.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Lightly brush crust with egg wash; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Place skillet on a baking sheet.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and apples are tender, about 45 minutes, loosely covering with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
- Use cold ingredients, and combine them quickly to create the perfect flaky piecrust.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes to allow butter to set and the flour to absorb liquid ingredients.
- Roll dough onto rolling pin to help transfer the piecrust to the skillet.
- Pie dough can be stored in a heavy-duty resealable bag and frozen for up to 3 months.