Cranberries lend a tart bite to this buttery caramel dessert.
Caramel-Cranberry Crostata with Pecans
Serves: 4-6 Servings
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, plus more for brushing
- 1½ cups frozen cranberries
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole walnuts
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mixed Nut Piecrust (recipe follows)
- Granulated sugar, for dusting
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- In a medium saucepan, bring brown sugar and cream to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries and butter; return mixture to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries begin to pop, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in walnuts, pecans, and vanilla. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll Mixed Nut Piecrust into a 14-inch circle. Transfer to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Spoon cranberry mixture into center of crust. Fold dough edges toward center, leaving a 4-inch opening in center. Brush crust with cream, and dust with granulated sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for at least 45 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream, if desired.
Mixed Nut Piecrust
Serves: 1 (10-inch) crust
- ½ cup mixed nuts (pecans, walnuts, and almonds)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons whole buttermilk, chilled
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together nuts until finely ground. Add flour, salt, and sugar, and pulse until combined. Add cold butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly, about 30 seconds. With processor running, add buttermilk in a slow, steady stream until a dough forms. Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.