Grilling the fruit and toasting the marshmallows and coconut update this old-fashioned Southern holiday staple.
Caramelized Ambrosia with Toasted Coconut
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 oranges, peeled and sliced into ¾-inch-thick rings
- 2 grapefruits, peeled and sliced into ¾-inch-thick rings
- 3 cups fresh pineapple slices or chunks
- 1 cup whole maraschino cherries
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle sugar onto both sides of orange and grapefruit slices. Cook oranges, grapefruit, and pineapple in batches on grill pan until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side, wiping pan clean between batches. Let fruit cool enough to handle; coarsely chop.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a large bowl, stir together grilled fruit, cherries, cherry juice, and extract. Divide mixture among small cast-iron skillets or gratin dishes. Top each with marshmallows and coconut.
- Broil 6 inches from broiler until marshmallows and coconut are toasted, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately.