Your favorite link sausage will work great in this recipe.
Caramelized Fennel and Sausages
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (20-ounce) package spicy Italian sausage links
- 5 medium fennel bulbs, quartered, fronds chopped and reserved
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove and let drain on paper towels.
- To pan, add fennel and garlic; cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Return sausage to skillet. Add bourbon, brown· sugar, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until a food thermometer inserted in sausages registers 150°, about 15 minutes more. Stir before serving. Top with reserved fennel fronds.
When cutting the fennel bulb, leave the core intact to keep pieces together for easier cooking and caramelization.