Using the same skillet to caramelize the pineapple and bake the rolls lets the juices from the fruit bake right into the dough, giving them even deeper flavor.
Caramelized Pineapple Coconut Rolls
- 1 fresh pineapple, cored and cut into ½-inch pieces, juice reserved
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 (8-ounce) cans refrigerated homestyle buttermilk biscuits*
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- Garnish: toasted sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, stir together pineapple and brown sugar. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool for 30 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Transfer pineapple to the container of a blender, and pulse until slightly smooth. Transfer to a large bowl, and stir in coconut.
- Cut one biscuit into 8 pieces, and set aside. On a lightly floured surface, arrange remaining biscuits in a rectangle by creating three rows of five, with sides touching. Place biscuit pieces in gaps; and pinch all biscuit edges to seal, creating a solid rectangle. Roll dough to a 16x12-inch rectangle.
- Spread pineapple filling onto dough. Starting with one long side, roll up dough into a log. Using a serrated knife, cut log into 8 slices. Place slices in skillet.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, condensed milk, 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice, and extract until smooth. Drizzle onto warm rolls. Garnish with coconut, if desired. Serve immediately.
*We used Pillsbury Grands! Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits.