These wedges make a delicious snack cake, with or without the frosting.
Carrot Cake Wedges
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ⅓ cup pineapple tidbits
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: carrot curls, pineapple
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray wells of a cast-iron wedge pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together carrot, pineapple, oil, milk, and eggs. Stir carrot mixture into flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon about 1⁄4 cup batter into each well of prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Top wedges with Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting. Garnish with carrot curls and pineapple, if desired.
Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 2 cups
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth. Whisk in pineapple juice until combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, whisking until smooth.
To make pretty carrot curls, cut thin strips of carrot with a serrated peeler, and place them in a small bowl of ice water. The ice water encourages them to curl.