Brighten your table and plates with this crunchy salad dotted with crispy bacon and a hint of sharp blue cheese.
Charred Cabbage, Bacon, and Carrot Salad
Serves: 8 cups
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 small red cabbage, quartered and cored
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ¾ cup sliced green onion
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving ¼ cup drippings in a small bowl. Let bacon cool; coarsely chop. Wipe skillet clean.
- Place cabbage wedges, cut side down, in skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until charred, about 5 minutes per side. Remove cabbage from skillet; coarsely chop.
- In a large bowl, combine bacon, cabbage, carrot, and green onion. In a small bowl, whisk together reserved ¼ cup drippings, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with walnuts and cheese.