Crunchy, tangy, and smoky, this easy slaw is the perfect summer side dish.
Charred Cabbage Slaw with Bacon and Pecans
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 medium head green cabbage, cored and cut into 2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1 (16-ounce) package bacon, divided
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 11⁄2 cups toasted chopped pecans
- Spray grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to high heat (400° to 450°).
- Grill cabbage and onion, uncovered, until browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from grill; coarsely chop. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- Preheat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on grill, covered, 5 minutes. Add 5 to 6 slices bacon to skillet; cook, uncovered, turning once, until bacon is crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet; let drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining bacon, reserving 3 tablespoons rendered fat in skillet. Add lemon juice, parsley, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper to skillet; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully remove skillet from grill.
- Pour dressing over cabbage and onion mixture, tossing to coat. Crumble bacon; sprinkle bacon and pecans over cabbage, tossing to combine. Serve warm.