Just when you think hush puppies can’t get any better, these golden herb- and cheese-filled fritters come along to change your mind.
Cheddar-Dill Hush Puppies
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1¾ cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- ¾ cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup drained dill pickle relish
- 1 large egg
- In a large, deep cast-iron skillet, Dutch oven, or fish fryer, pour oil to fill halfway, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, dill, and salt; stir cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, relish, and egg. Stir buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches and using a 2-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, carefully drop batter into hot oil. Fry, turning frequently, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or spider, carefully remove hush puppies, and let drain on a wire rack. Serve warm.