Packed with Cheddar and Parmesan, these biscuits are great for brunch–or dinner!
Serves: about 25
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup whole buttermilk, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Stone-ground mustard and ham, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, black pepper, and red pepper. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Add cheeses and 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, stirring until a thick dough forms. Add remaining ¼ cup buttermilk, if needed.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 4 or 5 times. Roll or pat dough into an 8-inch square; cut into 25 pieces. Place dough pieces close together in a 10-inch square cast-iron skillet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 17 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a large spatula, remove from pan and cut into pieces. Brush with melted butter. Serve with mustard and ham.