All the things you know and love about chicken Parmesan—from the crunchy coating and blanket of cheese to herb-seasoned sauce—are front and center in these crave-worthy meatballs.
Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Meatball Parmesan
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 3 cups Italian-seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 36 (½-inch) cubes part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) ball fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together chicken, 1 cup bread crumbs, 1 egg, salt, pepper, and onion powder until well combined. Divide mixture into 36 portions; shape each portion into a ball. Press 1 cheese cube into each ball; pinch and roll ball to seal.
- In a medium bowl, place remaining 2 cups bread crumbs. In another bowl, whisk together remaining 3 eggs. Dredge meatballs in bread crumbs to coat. Dip meatballs in eggs, letting excess drip off. Dredge meatballs again in bread crumbs to fully coat.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, add oil to a depth of ¼-inch, and heat over medium heat until hot. Working in batches, cook meatballs, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove meatballs with a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Pour off oil from skillet.
- Pour sauce into skillet; nestle meatballs in sauce. Top with sliced mozzarella; sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano.