One taste is all it takes for this dish to make its way to the top of your go-to recipes for craveworthy weeknight meals.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces processed cheese product, cubed
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 (12-ounce) box orecchiette pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup chopped dill pickles
- Garnish: pickle slices, chopped tomato
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until soft and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sirloin and seasoned salt; cook until browned and crumbly, about 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; add flour, stirring constantly, until flour is cooked through and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly stir in milk, Worcestershire, and hot sauce; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Slowly stir cheeses into sauce until melted. Stir in mustard. Stir in pasta and pickles. Garnish with pickles and tomato, if desired. Serve immediately.