Just when you thought pizza couldn’t get any better, we turned it into these shareable pull-apart rolls that will be the best thing to ever happen to your family movie nights.
Cheesy Pizza Rolls
- Classic Pizza Dough (recipe follows)
- ⅓ cup pizza sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup crumbled cooked Italian sausage (about ½ pound)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 35 pepperoni slices (about ½ (6-ounce) package)
- Garnish: fresh basil
Classic Pizza Dough
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⅓ cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spray a 9-to 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Classic Pizza Dough to a 16×10-inch rectangle. Spread ⅓ cup pizza sauce onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on one long side. Sprinkle half of cheese onto sauce. Top with sausage, onion, remaining cheese, and pepperoni.
- Starting at long side of dough without border, roll up dough into a log, pinching seam to seal. Turn log seam side down. (Using a sharp serrated knife, trim of ½ inch from ends of log, if desired). Cut roll into 8 slices. Place slices, cut side up, in prepared skillet. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until slightly puffed, about 20 minutes.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, about 35 minutes, loosely covering with foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Serve with pizza sauce. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Classic Pizza Dough
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine flour, yeast, cornmeal, sugar, and salt. Add 1⅓ cups water and oil; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat until dough is smooth and elastic, about6 minutes.
- Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Add dough, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, 25 to 35 minutes.
Kitchen Tip: You can also use a 16-ounce bag of refrigerated deli pizza dough for these rolls.